The Artistic Director Mieko Ouchi welcomes unsolicited scripts appropriate to touring, our mandate and young audiences. However, please read over our requirements carefully before sending us your script.
- Typewritten with name, address, email and phone number clearly marked on the cover.
- Running length of 45-55 minutes.
- Casting requirements of no more than FOUR actors.
- Set and prop requirements appropriate for touring in a passenger van and shipping on airplanes for national tours.
- A resume or CV, or cover letter outlining your past writing work and experience.
- Additional support materials are welcome, but please be judicious in the amount you send. Less is more! One or two reviews or articles are sufficient.
- Electronic copies or hard-copies are welcome. Electronic copies should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to Artistic Co-Director or can be mailed to us directly at: Concrete Theatre, 102, 10033-80 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6E 1T4.
- We are looking for scripts that are artistically excellent but that also have a socially relevant issue at their heart, appropriate to the age group you are targeting.
- Please don’t send us classic Fairy Tale adaptations. However we are interested in stories or fables that come from different traditions and are not widely know.
- We are looking for scripts that can tour to:
Elementary: Ages 5-12
Junior High: Ages13-16
High School: Ages 15-18
- We love scripts that are able to bridge the Junior and Senior High range if possible. We do not tour shows that bridge both Elementary and Junior High aged students.
- Cultural Diversity is also an important part of what we do at Concrete Theatre, and we welcome stories and scripts from all cultural backgrounds and reflective of all experiences in our community.
When You’ll Hear From Us:
- Because of our busy schedules, the current reading time for unsolicited scripts is:
Between 6 and 12 months
- We will send you a quick email confirming receipt of your script, but please be patient to hear back from us formally on your script. We haven’t forgotten you, we just like to take our time reading and considering new work!
Concrete Theatre is a professional Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) company whose mandate is to produce artistically excellent, challenging and culturally diverse theatre for young people and their families. Our critically acclaimed and award winning productions have included: Offensive Fouls, Under Cover, Routes, Lig & Bittle, The Early Bloomer, Smokescreen, Apples and Oranges, Jeremy Fisher, Nami Namersson, The Viking Who Liked To Name Things, The Shape of a Girl, The Incredible Adventures of Mary Jane Mosquito, The Plum Tree, Are We There Yet?, Rice and Naomi’s Road.
We do main-stage productions in Edmonton, as well as tour productions to Elementary, Junior and Senior High schools in Edmonton and across Alberta. We also tour nationally and have been presented in theatres and festivals including: Young People’s Theatre (formerly The Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People) (Toronto), The National Arts Centre (Ottawa), Kids on the Waterfront Festival (Dartmouth, N.S.), Grande Prairie Live Theatre (Grande Prairie), Persephone Theatre - Youth Series (Saskatoon) and The Grand Theatre (London).
Our work has been recognized with 8 Elizabeth Sterling Haynes Awards in Edmonton (Under Cover, Routes, Nami Namersson, The Viking Who Liked To Name Things, Jeremy Fisher, The Shape of A Girl, Lig & Bittle, Are We There Yet? and Naomi’s Road) and a 2011 Dora Award in Toronto (Routes) for Outstanding Production for Young Audiences.
We also produce a yearly new play development festival, the first of its kind in Canada: The Sprouts New Play Festival for Kids, which was founded in 2002.
We are a member of PACT and the EAC and operate under the auspices of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association. Please check out our full website in advance of your audition for additional information and history about the company. www.concretetheatre.ca